Anglicans and Calvin: "Reformation Anglicanism" book review

Discussion in 'Arts, Literature, and Games' started by Ananias, May 8, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ananias

Ananias Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    ACNA
    This bears repeating. The Continental reformers influenced the English reformers, obviously, but the Ecclesia Anglicana proceeded down a more complicated path due to the political and cultural circumstances of that time. The modern Anglican church is very much a hybrid in terms of structure and practice, but in basic theology it is quite reformed (small 'r', not big 'R'). I think even most Anglo-Catholics would agree with this. This was even more the case prior to the Oxford Movement in the mid-1800's.

Most Reformed churches either confess or at least include the Westminster Confession in their basic doctrines, and it bears repeating that this document was originally intended for Anglicans (to supplant the 39 Articles). The reasons why that didn't happen are more political than theological (as are the reasons the Scots Presbyterians adopted it in due course). Still, for myself, I'm quite happy with the 39 Articles as I think they are pithy and concise and lend themselves well to catechetical instruction.

This is why I say that Anglicans would probably do better to study Cranmer, Parker, Jewel, et. al. before they study Calvin or the other Continental theologians. Studying Calvin can bear good fruit, but (for me, anyway) only seen through the lens of the English Reformation.

anglican74 likes this.
  2. anglican74

anglican74 Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    If you read in the narrow corners of extremist propaganda, you can find anything you want

I’ve asked you for evidence of Calvin’s influence on Archbishop Parker, turns out you had nothing

I’ve asked you for evidence on Articles of Religion — you made a claim of Calvin’s influence which was directly disproven by Browne’s Commentary

All I see you doing is throwing wild unsubstantiated claims, which “everyone” in your ideological bubble “knows is true” But nobody outside of it does

3. bwallac2335

bwallac2335 Well-Known Member

Religion:
    ACNA
    I would even argue that Zwingillia is a bigger influence than Calvin in Calvinism

Invictus likes this.
  4. Invictus

Invictus Well-Known Member

United States
    Religion:
    Episcopalian
    I agree, especially today. Zwingli's understanding of the sacraments in particular seems to have all but eclipsed Calvin's, except in the strictly confessional churches that endorse the Three Forms rather than the Westminster Standards.

5. Admin

Admin Administrator Staff Member Typist Anglican

Alright folks, in the interest of lessening acrimony, let’s call this thread at an end.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.