Personal Confession vs Priestley Absolution

Discussion in 'Theology and Doctrine' started by David, Aug 6, 2023.

1. David

David Member Anglican

England
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Good morning all.

Hope everyone is well.

My question is to gather the thoughts of fellow Anglicans regarding personal confession of sins directly to our Lord vs Priestley Absolution.

I see both private confession and Priestley Absolution in scripture but as a sinner here and now if I pray directly to God ref sins theologically (bcp etc) is one forgiven immediately? I know the answer but my mind cannot link this theologically and I keep coming back to this question following any stumble into sin...does one run straight to church for Priestley Absolution either privately or general... or remain with God and talk to him about sin and ask for forgiveness.

The crux of my question as I write this is why is assurance of salvation often more concrete in one's mind following Priestley Absolution vs private confession.

Anyway...I'm rambling on.

God bless all and thanks for any replies in advance.

David.

2. Botolph

Botolph Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    DEARLY beloved, on - day next I purpose, through God's assistance, to administer to all such as shall be religiously and devoutly disposed the most comfortable Sacrament of the Body and Blood of Christ; to be by them received in remembrance of his meritorious Cross and Passion, whereby alone we obtain remission of our sins, and are made partakers of the kingdom of heaven. Wherefore it is our duty to render most humble and hearty thanks to Almighty God our heavenly Father, for that he hath given his Son our Saviour Jesus Christ, not only to die for us, but also to be our spiritual food and sustenance in that holy Sacrament. Which being so divine and comfortable a thing to them who receive it worthily, and so dangerous to them that will presume to receive it unworthily; my duty is to exhort you in the mean season to consider the dignity of that holy mystery, and the great peril of the unworthy receiving thereof; and so to search and examine your own consciences, and that not lightly, and after the manner of dissemblers with God: but so that ye may come holy and clean to such a heavenly Feast, in the marriage-garment required by God in holy Scripture, and be received as worthy partakers of that holy Table.

The way and means thereto is; First, to examine your lives and conversations by the rule of God's commandments; and whereinsoever ye shall perceive yourselves to have offended, either by will, word, or deed, there to bewail your own sinfulness, and to confess yourselves to Almighty God, with full purpose of amendment of life. And if ye shall perceive your offences to be such as are not only against God, but also against your neighbours; then ye shall reconcile yourselves unto them; being ready to make restitution and satisfaction, according to the uttermost of your powers, for all injuries and wrongs done by you to any other; and being likewise ready to forgive others that have offended you, as you would have forgiveness of your offences at God's hand; for otherwise the receiving of the holy Communion doth nothing else but increase your damnation. Therefore if any of you be a blasphemer of God, an hinderer or slanderer of his Word, an adulterer, or be in malice, or envy, or in any other grievous crime, repent you of your sins, or else come not to that holy Table; lest, after the taking of that holy Sacrament, the devil enter into you, as he entered into Judas, and fill you full of all iniquities, and bring you to destruction both of body and soul.

And because it is requisite, that no man should come to the holy Communion, but with a full trust in God's mercy, and with a quiet conscience; therefore if there be any of you, who by this means cannot quiet his own conscience herein, but requireth further comfort or counsel, let him come to me, or to some other discreet and learned Minister of God's Word, and open his grief; that by the ministry of God's holy Word he may receive the benefit of absolution, together with ghostly counsel and advice, to the quieting of his conscience, and avoiding of all scruple and doubtfulness.

Nerf Hofnagle and David like this.
  3. PDL

PDL Well-Known Member Anglican

United Kingdom
    Religion:
    Church of England
    This is one of those topics in Anglicanism that can lead to heated debate.

I prefer nowadays to avoid any discussion about different traditions within Anglicanism.

I think this is something left to one's conscience. If you feel happy with the General Absolution given in the liturgy or by directly praying to God that is what you should do. If you feel that your sins are more likely forgiven by going to a priest and confessing them that should be your choice.

It would be wrong for another person to impose their view on you.

bwallac2335, Annie Grace and Wynd like this.
  4. bwallac2335

bwallac2335 Well-Known Member

Religion:
    ACNA
    All I know is that I hate my sins and I trust in God to forgive me. The rest is above my pay grade.

David and PDL like this.