fox's book of martyrs

Discussion in 'Church History' started by mark fisher, Oct 21, 2022.

1. mark fisher

mark fisher Member Anglican

canada
    Religion:
    high church anglican
    has anyone read fox's book of martyrs if so what are your thoughts

2. Shane R

Shane R Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    It is more hagiography than history. Some words on one of the many editions of the book:
    Following closely on the heels of the first edition (Foxe complained that the text was produced at "a breakneck speed"), the 1570 edition was in two volumes and had expanded considerably. The page count went from approximately 1,800 pages in 1563 to over 2,300 folio pages. The number of woodcuts increased from 60 to 150. As Foxe wrote about his own living (or executed) contemporaries, the illustrations could not be borrowed from existing texts, as was commonly practiced. The illustrations were newly cut to depict particular details, linking England's suffering back to "the primitive tyme" until, in volume I, "the reigne of King Henry VIII"; in volume two, from Henry's time to "Queen Elizabeth our gracious Lady now reigning." Foxe's title for the second edition (vol I) is quite different from the first edition where he claimed his material as "these latter days of peril...touching on matters of the Church'. In 1570, Foxe's book is an "Ecclesiastical History" containing "the acts and monuments [no capitals] of thynges passed in every kynges tyme in this realm [England], specially in the Church of England". It describes "persecutions, horrible troubles, the suffering of martyrs [new], and other such thinges incident ... in England and Scotland, and [new] all other foreign nations". The second volume of the 1570 edition has its own title page and, again, an altered subject. Volume II is an "Ecclesiastical History conteyning the Acts and Monuments of Martyrs" [capitalized in original] and offers "a general discourse of these latter persecutions, horrible troubles and tumults styred up by Romish ['Roman' in 1563] Prelates in the Church". Again leaving the reference, to which church, uncertain, the title concludes "in this realm of England and Scotland as partly also to all other foreign nations apparteynyng"​

3. Tiffy

Tiffy Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    CofE
    I read it many years ago now and it convinced me that no denomination on earth is ACTUALLY the church of Jesus Christ. I came to the conclusion that true disciples of Jesus Christ exist in most denominations and even some sects, as wheat among the tares.

When the ungodly persecute the righteous, God is on the side of the righteous. When the righteous, (in their own estimation), persecute the ungodly, (in the supposedly righteous's estimation), God is on the side of the 'apparently ungodly'.

Fox's book of martyrs is a detailed record of both groups of hypocrites and their victims, (but biassed toward only one particular group of perecutors really), persecuting one another, believing themselves to be 'doing God's will', but all of them, (supposed by themselves), to be qualified righteous members of Christ's church on earth.

Unfortunately the darnel and the wheat still co exist until the angels light up the furnace and start separating and bundling. That's what most of us believe happens to each of us at our final release from this mortal coil, at the end of the age for us at least.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2022
    Lowly Layman likes this.