My thoughts on Eastern Orthodoxy

Discussion in 'Navigating Through Church Life' started by Stalwart, Feb 16, 2022.

1. Br. Thomas

Br. Thomas Active Member

U.S.A.
    Religion:
    Anglican Catholic
    :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

2. Magistos

Magistos Active Member Anglican

United States
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    And also with y'all.

:) :) :)

Br. Thomas likes this.
  3. Nevis

Nevis Active Member

Deutschland
    Religion:
    Catholic
    photoshopping?

4. Nevis

Nevis Active Member

Deutschland
    Religion:
    Catholic
    so do i

5. Nevis

Nevis Active Member

Deutschland
    Religion:
    Catholic
    why do you post such a picture?

6. Magistos

Magistos Active Member Anglican

United States
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    You know - That's not even to do with Eastern Orthodoxy, in my opinion, and more to do with the cult of Putin, as supported by the Russian Orthodox church that has long been known to be an arm of the state for decades.

The picture, while sad, doesn't advance an argument for or against Eastern Orthodoxy, so much as it condemns the ongoing insanity of Russian culture and religion these days.

Nevis likes this.
  7. Raoul Michel

Raoul Michel New Member

Argentina
    Religion:
    Catholic? Orthodox? SAD?
    I understand what you're saying, and I agree with almost everything. I also had an experience of approaching Orthodoxy, being a Roman Catholic and a traditionalist. It was logical to look eastward, cross the Adriatic, and immerse myself in the Aegean. Orthodoxy presented itself as a refuge: history, tradition, Patristics... But when a friend found out that I was attending local Adventist services and that there were things about Orthodoxy that didn't sit well with me (positions he held and that even the Orthodox rejected), or when I showed him strange beliefs and a true schism, a schism, a schism... His response was authoritative and violent. I lost a friend and also, the desire to enter Orthodoxy. The anti-intellectualism is brutal, the denial of any kind of reflection or alternative reading is serious, and the strangest thing is the cognitive dissonance that its faithful and priests have. They end up confusing faith with fideism. Sad. I understand you.

8. Raoul Michel

Raoul Michel New Member

Argentina
    Religion:
    Catholic? Orthodox? SAD?
    I agree with you. One thing is Eastern Orthodoxy, and another is the history of the Byzantine Empire. Especially nowadays. Orthodoxy is beautiful, but it has the beauty of the Museum, of the antiquary. It's hard to see life where there is only a skeleton.

9. Mockingbird

Mockingbird Member

United States
    Religion:
    Anglican
    There is a sub-reddit on reddit.com called r/exorthodox. Some of the experiences posted there resemble Stalwart's.