Do all Anglicans use the Three year lectionary?

Discussion in 'Liturgy, and Book of Common Prayer' started by PK070205, Sep 9, 2024.

1. PK070205

PK070205 New Member

United States
    Religion:
    Ohio
    Do all Anglicans use the Three year lectionary? I personally believe the one year lectionary is a far better for numerous reasons. The seed of memory is repetition.

2. Shane R

Shane R Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    No. In fact, I would estimate the percentage of Continuing Anglicans using a 3 year lectionary is less than 5%. Most Continuing Anglican churches do not even have an authorized 3 year lectionary. 1928 BCP parishes (there are still a few dozen of these in TEC and ACNA) also traditionally use the 1 year lectionary because that's what the book was designed with. Anyone doing a 1662 BCP service is probably also using a 1 year lectionary, although that book has 2 options for 1 year lectionaries.

Br. Thomas and PK070205 like this.
  3. PK070205

PK070205 New Member

United States
    Religion:
    Ohio
    That’s good to know. In LCMS Lutheranism, they use both with more moving back to the one year lectionary. I’ve always been in perishes that use the one year lectionary.

What’s the best place to buy a high quality 1928 BCP and 1662 BCP?

4. Shane R

Shane R Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    There are 2 editions of 1662 circulating these days. At the top of the page you'll notice the "International Edition" which is a recent revision that's been edited for use outside of the UK. This is not authorized, it's more of a vanity project. A proper edition will have the designation "CP" and then a 3 digit number. CP stands for Cambridge University Press and the numbers refer to various sizes, larger being a larger book. A CP220 will fit in my jacket pocket and I often carry one doing sick calls or home visits.
    https://www.amazon.com/s?k=1662+boo...e+standard+text,stripbooks,111&ref=nb_sb_noss

Br. Thomas likes this.