trooping the Colour in London now

Discussion in 'Feasts, Fasts, and Church Calendar' started by Nevis, Jun 15, 2024.

1. Nevis

Nevis Active Member

Deutschland
    Religion:
    Catholic
    i,hope it can be a topic!

it is now on tv!

2. Nevis

Nevis Active Member

Deutschland
    Religion:
    Catholic
    the Emglish like those parades

dont you?

3. AnglicanAgnostic

AnglicanAgnostic Well-Known Member

New Zealand
    Religion:
    none
    Of course it can, but preferably on a forum like "Royal Forums" and not on one about Anglicanism.
    Or you could try it on a Roman Catholic forum. Let me know how you get on if you try it there.

Br. Thomas likes this.
  4. Nevis

Nevis Active Member

Deutschland
    Religion:
    Catholic
    is an yenglish monarch not the head of the Anglican Church?

5. Botolph

Botolph Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    The English Monarch is the Temporal Head of the Church of England. The force of that is often missed by those outside of the Communion. As the Sovereign Leader of the English People, they have both Lords Temporal and Lords Spiritual.

Nevis likes this.
  6. Nevis

Nevis Active Member

Deutschland
    Religion:
    Catholic
    ok

7. Nevis

Nevis Active Member

Deutschland
    Religion:
    Catholic
    did you think that Charles III is a Roman Catholic?

8. AnglicanAgnostic

AnglicanAgnostic Well-Known Member

New Zealand
    Religion:
    none
    I'm saying that the trouping of the colour has nothing to do with an Anglican forum as it has nothing to do with a Roman catholic forum. Yes Charles is temporal head of the Anglican church but he is also a keen gardener, conservationist and historian of George III, but you wouldn't bring up the trouping of the colour in a gardening, conservation or a Georgian History Forum.

The Pope is Sovereign of the Vatican but if you were interested in the drains of the Vatican, you would bring it up on a drainage forum not a Roman Catholic one.

The trouping of the colour is to Anglicanism what the Vatican's drains are to Roman Catholicism.

Br. Thomas likes this.
  9. Botolph

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Just to be clear, that is not quite correct. HRH Charles III is the Temporal Head of the Church of England, The Episcopal Church of Scotland, The Church of Ireland, and the Church of Wales. The Anglican Church is however bigger than these four member churches, and the temporal headship does not apply to all of them (and certainly not the Anglican Church of Australia) and not to the Anglican Communion in general.

That is not to challenge the role but to be clear about what it isn't as well as what it is.

10. Nevis

Nevis Active Member

Deutschland
    Religion:
    Catholic
    i like to watch that ceremony

11. Nevis

Nevis Active Member

Deutschland
    Religion:
    Catholic
    why do you want to chase me away to a RCC forum?

just so as if the King of England had nothing to do with the Church of England.

but you must know …..

better than me ……

12. Botolph

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Nobody wants to chase anybody away. The question was asked if The Trooping of the Colours questioned the relevance of the British Military Tradition to the Anglican Church more generally.

The King of England, HRH Charles III, holds the position of Temporal Head of the Church of England, and Defender of the Faith (granted initially by the Pope). The Church of England is a member of the Anglican Communion, and the Archbishop of Canterbury is the Primate of all of England. Within the Anglican Communion, he is accorded the Primacy as 1st among equals amongst the Bishops of the Communion.

So the Church of England is Anglican, however, the Anglican Church is not the same thing as the Church of England. Each of the member Churches of the Anglican Communion is autocephalous. Now in line with things that happen in other Orthodox churches, there are times when disagreements happen over matters of doctrine and practice, (theology and orthopraxis) so as it is today there are many Anglican Churches that are not members of the Anglican Communion and so have no relation to the Archbishop of Canterbury. This is sad and it can be confusing confusing.

The RCC has a much stronger and authoritarian internal discipline, centred on one Bishop whose Primacy is not simply one of honour, but also of great authority over the whole of the RCC to the extent that some of what he says may be construed as infallible. People who have grown up in such a tradition are likely to find Anglicanism doubly bewildering, however, I believe it is worth trying to understand.

Some places that may help (the list is not extensive and I apologise to any who I may have missed out):

As a member of the Anglican Church of Australia, the Trooping of the Colours is great but of no relevance. As an Australian, we get a Public Holiday for the king's Birthday in June, even though his real birthday is in November, and who doesn't like a Public Holiday?