I am Raoul from Argentina

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Raoul Michel, May 10, 2024.

1. Raoul Michel

Raoul Michel New Member

Argentina
    Religion:
    Catholic? Orthodox? SAD?
    My name is Raoul Michel, and I'm from Argentina. I was raised as a Roman Catholic, which in my country means "a Catholic who frequently takes communion, but quite liberal." Over the years, I turned towards Lefebvrism, but I always studied Church history (perhaps that drove me to want to learn more about Orthodoxy and the roots of my religion). I became very interested in Patristics and Historical Councils, as well as in daily reading of the Holy Scriptures. Due to the "twists of life" (I'm not sure if that phrase has the same meaning in English as in Spanish), I ended up leaving Roman Catholicism and became an Adventist. I rose through the ranks in my congregation, but I miss and feel nostalgic for the liturgy, the sacraments, sacred art, and the traditional hermeneutics of the Faith.
    That nostalgia is becoming stronger and I have come to the conclusion that my move to Adventism was rushed and poorly considered, and I desire to return to Catholicism, but not to Rome. Today, I find myself in this situation, not knowing very well what to do. I would appreciate your advice and help, and above all, your prayers.

Elmo likes this.
  2. Tiffy

Tiffy Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    CofE
    Hi Raoul. Welcome to Anglican Forums. From what you have described as your faith journey you might find Anglicanism an attractive proposition for growing in the faith in a faith community, somewhere between Roman Catholicism and Adventism. Reformed Catholic but not fully 'Protestant'. I imagine there will be Anglican churches to be found in Argentina, there are in most countries worldwide. You will find that we Anglicans generally still regard most of those things you 'missed', still value and appreciated from Roman Catholicism are still valued and practiced in Anglicanism. There are valid historical reasons for this being so, but that all goes back a long way, even before the Continental Reformation.

Raoul Michel and Elmo like this.
  3. Elmo

Elmo Active Member

England
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Anglicanism sounds like the place for you, really!

Raoul Michel likes this.
  4. Br. Thomas

Br. Thomas Active Member

U.S.A.
    Religion:
    Anglican Catholic
    I was born into a family of mixed religion and cherish the memories of my Mass attendance with my paternal grandmother and my aunt. I was raised in the Lutheran church, but my heart was with my grandmother and aunt in their worship. Over the years I delved into other avenues of religion, but have decided that now being an Anglican Catholic I am so very happy and wish I would have done so years earlier. I love the sacraments, the vestments, the liturgy and traditions, but am not encumbered by the fear instilled in me as a youth in the RCC while growing up. I never could got used to the infallibility of the Pope. The one side of my family in my youth told me that the other side was going to Hell. I never figured out how professed Christians would go to Hell if they did not believe or practice what the other side of the family did. So, I broke away at 18 and went on my own quest and finally, in my 50s, became a non-Roman Catholic. At first it was Old Catholic and now I am Anglican Catholic. I even did in depth study of Buddhism as an alternative.

Raoul Michel and Elmo like this.
  5. Raoul Michel

Raoul Michel New Member

Argentina
    Religion:
    Catholic? Orthodox? SAD?
    Thank you very much for sharing your experience with me. Sometimes I also feel like I don't fit in anywhere. The worst part is that I also somehow led my wife to join Adventism, but she remains a devout Catholic. I see Anglicanism as a place of peace for someone like me. Many years have passed where I was caught up in theological debates, in all the madness of the traditionalist Catholic movement. Today, I just want to be at peace with God.

6. CRfromQld

CRfromQld Moderator Staff Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Hello Raoul, I have friends who are are SDA and I have a great deal of respect for them. That does not mean that I agree with everything they teach, but I hear things in my own church I don't agree with. If you find a church with (mostly) sound doctrine and a style of worship you are comfortable with then be at peace.

Raoul Michel likes this.
  7. Nevis

Nevis Active Member

Deutschland
    Religion:
    Catholic
    Bienvenido!

Raoul Michel likes this.