Close Account

Discussion in 'Technical Assistance' started by PDL, Jan 1, 2024.

1. PDL

PDL Well-Known Member Anglican

United Kingdom
    Religion:
    Church of England
    Would the administrator/moderator please tell me how to close my account on this forum? I have had a look and cannot find out how. Perhaps I have missed it for which I apologise. Please do not shut it immediately from this post. I want a few days to read up all the site's terms and conditions and privacy policy to see what information about me you will retain.

2. Botolph

Botolph Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Take care, friend

3. AnglicanAgnostic

AnglicanAgnostic Well-Known Member

New Zealand
    Religion:
    none
    Don't leave on my account. Although I might not agree with all you say, it is good that you express your views. You may even change my views if you address your arguments to me. (See even I can be inconsistent :D , maybe it's an unbelievers prerogative).
    However I think it is a bit unfair to send me a Private message when I can't reply to you.
    Can I paste your PM on this thread?

4. PDL

United Kingdom
    Religion:
    Church of England
    T
    Thank you, Botolph.

5. PDL

United Kingdom
    Religion:
    Church of England
    Thank you so much for the good laugh this gave me. You seriously believe you are the reason!

Reply if you want. What’s stopping you?

I do not think my answer will alter your choice of action. You know you have already whet the appetite of others for gossip.

6. Tiffy

Tiffy Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    CofE
    Always sad to see members depart. I hope it was nothing that I wrote that has offended. I have not come across any other debating website with so many reasoned and caring posters, and well regulated forum within which to swap ideas and beliefs.

7. AnglicanAgnostic

New Zealand
    Religion:
    none
    Well no! I would never publish a private message without the participants permission. I only mentioned your PM here because I can't reply to it, you disallowed it.

8. PDL

United Kingdom
    Religion:
    Church of England
    I have not disallowed you replying. I am unaware of such a feature. I find it strange it is possible and would be strongly opposed to it. If I knew the feature existed I would not opt for it.

9. PDL

United Kingdom
    Religion:
    Church of England
    I did ask for help closing my account. It would appear I am not going to receive it or not soon.

No one person on here has influenced my decidion. It has been a synergistic effect from a number of different things.

I’d be interested to find out how often those replying to this thread has rendered help in Technical Assistance before.

If it is not possible to close an account I shall just go into silent mode.

10. AnglicanAgnostic

New Zealand
    Religion:
    none

I can't reply to your PM . This is probably an inadvertent symptom of your "This member limits who may view their full profile." setting.

11. Tiffy

Tiffy Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    CofE
    Currently it seems that when clicking on your profile it is not possible to Start a PM to you, but this option is available in the profiles of most other members in the forum. It must be something to do with the settings you have selected in your profile.

Perhaps reasons other members are reluctant to offer you technical assistance include (a) because they can't open a New PM to you to do it privately, because of your settings or (b) they don't want to lose you from the forum and are wondering why you want to close your account rather than just not get involved in threads which might disturb your peace of mind by perhaps presenting discomforting challenges to your faith.

I appreciate your problem trying to find out HOW one might delete one's account though. I have tried to find out how and have not yet discovered how it can be done. I can't see any way in profile editing to do it. Perhaps you will just have to wait until you get a response from the 'Help' button.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2024
  12. PDL

United Kingdom
    Religion:
    Church of England
    I cannot envision a reason why this would need to be done privately.

May be some don't want me to leave. But, shouldn't it be my choice? It might be nice of people if they want me to stay but to effectively force me because I want to go is not nice.

13. Annie Grace

Annie Grace Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican (Australia)
    Another forum I was on would not allow memebers to delete accounts either, because they said it would make the threads confusing as posts would be missing. What I did was to change the name of my account to 'Unknown' and then just never went back there. Eventually the threads became old and no one really knew what I had posted because of the name change.

So perhaps the best you can do is to just stop reading or posting here, and eventually the threads you have posted in will become yesterday's news. But yes, change your account name first if you want to remain anonymous.

Sometimes it is hard online to be involved in forums where there are disagreements. You might find that just taking a break for several months will change your mind and you will want to come back. Maybe not. Freedom.

14. PDL

United Kingdom
    Religion:
    Church of England
    I know that other fora will allow you to close your account. Perhaps AF doesn’t.

I don’t expect all my posts to disappear. On the contrary, I thought they would remain.

It will have to be like a soap opera. I won’t be killed off leaving an opening for my future return.

I have considered coming off this forum for some time so I’m just going to stay away.

Alternatively, I could do something very naughty and get myself banned.

15. Tiffy

Tiffy Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    CofE
    And join the ranks of the ungodly, like those of us who've been 'dressed down' and had our 'Anglican' status removed? That's just TOO drastic, surely! :laugh:

Annie Grace likes this.
  16. PDL

United Kingdom
    Religion:
    Church of England
    I am sure we don't need this forum to affirm who were are. I formed the impression your public flogging didn't leave you with lasting harm.

I may as well go out with a bang! [​IMG]

17. Tiffy

Tiffy Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    CofE
    I've endured worse from real bishops in my lifetime. :laugh:
    WOW! however did you find that cool emogie :laugh::clap:

18. PDL

United Kingdom
    Religion:
    Church of England
    Click on Help. Then Smilies and it’s listed there.

19. Tiffy

Tiffy Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    CofE
    Cool! Thanks.

20. Rexlion

Rexlion Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian attending ACNA
    It's been nice knowing you, PDL. No one's about to chain you to your keyboard and force you to participate on this forum. If you want to stop, may the Lord bless and keep you, and we will see you on the other side. Stop by my mansion anytime you like.

@Tiffy on the other hand will have to make an appointment with my secretary. (Just kidding!) ;)